Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Getting started

Your Windows-based PeopleSoft servers and your Windows desktop machine probably don't have PowerShell installed. As of today, PowerShell is an optional feature on Windows Server 2008, is built in to Windows 7, and is installable for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows Server 2003.

PowerShell version 1 requires .NET framework version 2.0 or higher, which you also may not have. There's a preview of PowerShell version 2, which I have not tried. I believe when Windows 7 ships it will have PowerShell 2.

You can get the .NET framework 3.5 SP1 here, and PowerShell here. The installations are pretty straightforward. I'm lucky enough to have free reign over my servers (well, within reason...), but depending on your workplace policies, you may have to convince your nework or server admin to allow these on to the servers.

From what I gather, PowerShell works quite well over the network, so you may not have to install it everywhere. I'll be exploring that idea on a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment